The following tips may help keep you and your family safe while driving this winter.
- Have your car serviced by a professional mechanic. Your mechanic should ensure your brakes, windshield wipers, tires, defroster, heater and exhaust system are in top condition. In addition to this your antifreeze and windshield washer fluid levels should be topped off.
- Listen to weather and traffic conditions before you travel. Make sure you leave yourself enough time so you will not take unnecessary risks to get to your destination. If possible, avoid driving in icy conditions.
- Maintain a safe driving distance. Increasing your driving distance in winter weather will allow you plenty of room to maneuver your car should an emergency occur.
- Clean the snow and ice off your vehicle before driving. Snow and ice can become dangerous projectiles that can damage other cars and affect your visibility and the visibility of other drivers.
- Keep your lights on while driving. Keeping your lights on allows other drivers on the road to see your car more easily. Don't forget to make sure your lights are clear of ice and snow before you head out to drive.
- Keep an emergency winter kit in your car. Your emergency winter kit should consist of the following items: a snow shovel, ice scraper, cell phone, flashlight, jumper cables, tire chains, lock deicer and blankets.
- Maintain a full tank of gas. You never know when bad weather can strike, and with a full tank of gas you may be much better off if you are stuck in traffic delays.
- Slow down while driving. The posted speed limit on roads is intended for dry weather conditions, not snow and icy conditions. Slow your speed down while on the road to help avoid an accident. If you are driving a 4x4 vehicle, don't become overconfident while out on the road.
- Take extra care when backing up your vehicle. Before backing up make sure your windows are free and clear of debris. At PURE, single-vehicle accidents are a major cause of loss for our membership.
Information from Pure Insurance web site about driving safely on snow and ice.